08 March 2012

Poor Sacramento.


So my team of the day is the Oakland Athletics.

Oakland Athletics
http://mlb.mlb.com/team/



I picked them because I don't really have time today to write the kind of bloggy ode to teams like the Twins, Brewers, or Pirates, for whom I have strong happy feelings and want to wax profound about for lines and lines.

It turns out I know surprisingly little about this team, and everything I do know I learned from watching Moneyball a few weekends ago. Given that, I won't say much about them, and will focus more on the fact that they are one of five baseball teams in the great state of California.

Five?! That's a lot.

Granted, California is huge. It would have the 8th largest GDP in the world if it were its own country (but would probably slide to #15 if George Lucas, Ron Howard, Steven Spielberg, and Jerry Bruckheimer all moved to Atlanta to live in Tyler Perry's neighborhood). The size of its population is comparable to Poland. As of 2006, it has the largest minority population in the country. I get it -- it's gigantic and diverse and important by most measures.

But that's still a lot of baseball teams. And I question their choices; Frankly, I think it's rude that Sacramento, the state capital, does NOT have a major league baseball franchise but Oakland, 12.3 miles from San Francisco and the Giants, does.

If I were Sacramento, I'd be kind of pi$$ed about that.

5 comments:

mm said...

Five does seem like a lot, so I can't feel sorry for Sacramento.

Jill, Benevolent Dictator said...

Sacramento has the Kings, and is really more of a basketball kind of town. I'm not sure why, though I do think it has a minor league farm team.

Five is a lot. We have three football teams. How is it that LA has two basketball teams? The state has four. What can I say? CA is superior to the other 49.

LH said...

I've been to quite a few A's games. In days of yore. Fun team.

dw said...

I haven't been there, but judging by its airport, Sacramento is teeny.

I guess since I was at the airport I may have been to Sacramento, but you take my meaning. It was just a short layover.

KC said...

Go A's!!