07 March 2012

Cleveland Rocks

Does it? Well, if Drew Carey says so...it must be true.
Cleveland Indians
http://mlb.mlb.com/team/
I don't actually know that much about Cleveland - I've driven past it more times than I can count, especially on my way to the best amusement park in the world, Cedar Point. The "amazement park by the lake," if I recall their commercials correctly.

I do have some love for Cleveland in the sibling rivalry sort of way. You see, when you're from Pittsburgh, you hate Cleveland because you hate the Browns. But, if anyone else trashes the Browns -- well now, step off, that's MY job.

Wikipedia describes it thus:

The rivalry took a brief hiatus from 1996-1998 due to the Cleveland Browns relocation controversy. When the league was voting on the Browns relocation, Steelers owner Dan Rooney was one of only two owners to vote against the move. In tribute of Cleveland losing the Browns, Steeler fans wore orange arm bands to the final game at Three Rivers Stadium as a sign of mutual respect and sorrow for losing a great rivalry. While Browns fans still consider the Steelers as their main archrival, a small number of Steeler fans consider their rivalry with the Baltimore Ravens the spiritual successor to this rivalry due to Art Modell moving the his franchise to Baltimore and establish the expansion Ravens, even though the recent one-sidedness of this rivalry in favor of the Steelers has influenced this thinking as well. Nevertheless, it is still heated between both teams and one of the most heated rivalries in the NFL.

Ok, I know...that's FOOTBALL, this is a BASEBALL blogging challenge. But considering the source -- that the author of this blog would not by any measure be considered a sports fan although she does love certain football and baseball teams -- the fact that I have some independent knowledge of any sports-type information is really impressive.  And only some of it comes from reading Bill Simmons.

But enough about that -- Cedar Point is fabulous. You should absolutely go there.

Their roller coasters are RIDICULOUS. They are super-high, super-fast, super-twisty, and they're always building new ones that are higher, faster, and twistier than the rest. I used to go there every summer when I was a kid. Bless my father's heart, he used to drive me and my neighbor friend the four hours to the park, ride all day, and then drive home late that night. Amy and I would play War in the backseat until I felt carsick, and then we'd sleep. I went in high school, too, and that was fun, although I spent too much time putting on lip gloss and rolling my jean shorts to really have as much fun as I did when I was little.

I went in college, too, with one of my best friends, and we went on the Raptor, a roller coaster that's connected at the top (your legs dangle down). Right before it was ready to launch, I realized that my super-cute outfit that I had spent at least 20 minutes picking out (white baby doll t, white cotton miniskirt with lemons on it, and white no-back slip-on tennis shoes with a chunky lug heel -- it was 1996) was not the best choice for this ride, as those super fabulous shoes were about to dangle right off my feet and onto the ground 60 feet below. So Beth grabbed them off my feet and shoved them in her pockets.

She was such a good friend. And those shoes were totally hot, in that 1996 kind of way.

Cedar Point amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio
http://www.harbors-edge.com/attractions.aspx

7 comments:

mm said...

I love Cedar Point. Millennium Force is my favorite roller coaster and my screen saver. When it first opened, we waited in queue for two hours while it rained and had a blast. Merely seeing the words Cedar Point brought a smile to my face. Love it!

dw said...

Even if Drew Carey is a Republican, I loved his show. And I loved the song. And I am so glad that the Browns are back in Cleveland. And it's okay to have a football/amusement park post in this challenge. The connection to baseball can't be too tenuous!

Jim said...

Sweet Martha's Cookies that roller coaster looks high. I don't know ... I used to love riding those crazy rides, but the older I get the less I have any desire at all to get on them. I went on that thing at Valleyfair a few years ago -- the Power Tower or whatever. All it felt like was death and I had enough.

Lordy, I wish the Indians would change their name. I'll post about racist nicknames on my blog later in the challenge, so you know the smiling Chief Wahoo will be on that list.

KC said...

I would like to go to Cedar Point. I have a pal who goes there yearly for a family vacation. Sounds fun.

We were just wishing last night that you guys still lived here. Dan and I think we'd pretty much be BFFs.

Bethn8r said...

Oh KC, absolutely!! Matthew says the same thing ALL OF THE TIME. And I agree. :)

Bethn8r said...

Jim, I'm with you - the roller coasters just don't feel as good as they used to. It seems I get headaches now when I used to be able to ride them over and over...Looking forward to your mascot post later in the challenge!

LH said...

Hey, I wrote about Chief Wahoo today!!!
This is probably not as fascinating as it seems. How much are you really going to say about the Cleveland Indians?

Would like to go to Cedar Point some day. We go to a small park called Holiday World sometimes. It's in Santa Claus, Indiana. No lie.