11 March 2012

Oh we've got trouble...right here in Tampa Bay*


My team of the day is the Tampa Bay Rays. This is another team that I (surprise!) know nothing about, so I turned to Wikipedia. And, I challenged myself to find some link to making me care about this team, by way of musical theater.

Tampa Bay Rays
http://mlb.mlb.com/team/






Let's start with fun facts about the Rays - They were called the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, but a la the Washington Bullets their name was sanitized so that the team would become "a beacon that radiates throughout Tampa Bay and across the entire state of Florida."

Lame.

*Tampa Bay is not a municipality, merely a body of water. I consider this to be misleading. 

They play in Tropicana Stadium, and I like orange juice, so I guess that's okay.

But now I will attempt to connect the Tampa Bay Rays to me in some meaningful way....watch this:

Tampa Bay → The line from "Wells Fargo Wagon" (The Music Man): And once I got some grapefruit from Tampa..." → Shirley Jones was in The Music Man → Shirley Jones was from Charleroi, and was crowned "Miss Pittsburgh" in 1952→ I'm from Pittsburgh.

See? That one was kind of easy.

Alternative route:

Tampa Bay → The line from "Wells Fargo Wagon" (The Music Man): "And once I got some grapefruit from Tampa..." → Shirley Jones was in The Music Man with Robert Preston → Robert Preston was in the movie "The Last Starfighter", with which I was obsessed when I was in 5th and 6th grades (until Top Gun came out, and then Dirty Dancing) → In 2004 someone had the genius idea of making "The Last Starfighter" into an off-Broadway musical → I love musicals.

Ok, one more:

Tampa Bay  →  The line from "Wells Fargo Wagon" (The Music Man): "And once I got some grapefruit from Tampa..."  →  Shirley Jones was in The Music Man with Robert Preston  →  The song "Ya Got Trouble" from The Music Man includes the line ""ow they're gonna cover up a tell-tale breath with Sen-Sen."  →  Billy Joel also mentioned Sen-Sen in "Keeping the Faith" ["I took a fresh pack of Luckies and a mint called Sen-Sen"]  →  "Keeping the Faith" was on Joel's 1983 album "An Innocent Man"  →  Also on "An Innocent Man" was "This Night," where the chorus melody is taken directly from Beethoven's Sonata Pathetique →  I heard Sonata Pathetique the other day on those cable music channels in the 500s that I leave on so there's background for the baby and while on the "Light Classical" channel I found myself singing "This night will last for-eeeee-ver....Why is Billy Joel in my head?"  → I need to get out of the house more.

And....done.

7 comments:

mm said...

I'm a fan of Billy Joel, so I'm going with the last one!

Bethn8r said...

I love him too!! That's such a good album, with "The Longest Time" -- love that song.

LH said...

I'm not crazy about musicals. Okay, I despise them. But I did feel you were quite clever about putting this together. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant!

dw said...

Bra. Vo.

This challenge really makes you think!

Bethn8r said...

Thank you, everyone, for the positive feedback! I was hoping that people would think it interesting, because I reread it after I wrote it and I was concerned it made me sound a little bit crazy. :)

Dan, is the next blog challenge going to be about song lyrics, in any way, shape, or form? Because that would be EXCELLENT. Or that 30 days song challenge that went around Facebook a while back...

Jim said...

My head hurts from that. Whew.