17 March 2012

The Reds, or One More Team Named for Hosiery

If you asked me "Tell me something about the Cincinnati Reds," I would mutter some phrases like "Pete Rose was some sort of gambler, right?" and "Marge Schott was some sort of racist, right?"

But a small part of the Wikipedia entry for this team makes me like them -- at least, the historical "them" -- 

The best players of the Cincinnati Red Stockings relocated to Boston after the 1870 season, taking the nickname along with them and becoming the Boston Red Stockings, a team later dubbed the "Beaneaters" and eventually the "Braves", who are now based in Atlanta. A new Cincinnati Red Stockings team became a charter member of the National League in 1876, five years after the first Red Stockings team. The second Red Stockings team was expelled from the league after the 1880 season, in part for violating league rules by serving beer to fans at games, and for their refusal to stop renting out their ballpark, the Bank Street Grounds, on Sundays. 

Sweet. So their fans were drinkers and they were capitalists who ignored blue laws.

That's a team I can get behind.  Hosiery and all.



4 comments:

mm said...

Was gambling Rose's only problem?

dw said...

Jeez. Now I feel bad for saying that they were the team I cared about the least when I blogged about the Reds. I take it back. Those guys are alright.

KC said...

Thanks for this informative post!

LH said...

Wikipedia is the best thing ever.