12 March 2012

Chicago Cubs and a few good book/movie selections

I like Chicago quite a bit - in fact, if I were to move back to the Midwest I would very strongly consider it. It reminds me of Pittsburgh, only bigger; New York, but smaller and with a less offensive-to-the-ears hometown accent; St. Paul, but dirtier; Boston, but newer; Milwaukee ["Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."] but tougher. A number of our friends in NY moved to Chicago to the point that our daughter thought that's what people did -- moved to Chicago -- when their oldest kid turned 5.

One of their two MLB teams is the Cubs (but c'mon, you already knew that):
Chicago Cubs
http://mlb.mlb.com/team/
But so many other great things are set in this city! Besides the Chicago Manual of Style (which I adore), in real life there's fantastic shopping, an amazing food scene, Navy Pier, the Art Institute of Chicago, Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me! and This American Life...so much to do that a three-day weekend would challenge you to pick only your absolute favorites.

HOWEVER... Chicago is the setting for a substantial amount of literary and theatrical fabulousness, as well.

Two books that I absolutely LOVE that are set in Chicago: Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson, and the Dresden Files series, by Jim Butcher. Devil in the White City is a fantastic non-fiction story set at the 1893 Chicago World's Fair, about the fair itself and a serial killer. SO GOOD. The Dresden Files books are about a wizard who lives in Chicago...and it's excellent if you like that kind of thing. And even if you don't, you might not hate it.

There are many other great works of literature set in Chicago, such as Native Son, but I have to admit that after reading that for AP English in 12th grade I haven't opened it again, because it is so damn depressing. Just the word "Bigger" makes my stomach churn.

Lots of great plays/musicals are set in Chicago too... Glengarry Glen Ross, Proof, A Raisin in the Sun, Superior Donuts (which I did not see on Broadway but oh how I wanted to)...and of course, the eponymous Chicago. (Wow, I think that's the first time I've gotten to use the word "eponymous" in a sentence.)

As for movies, well...that list is long and (somewhat) distinguished, films that were at least partially set in Chicago or Chicagoland:

The good:
The great:

The terrible:

The probably-objectively-terrible-and-I-recognize-this-but-I-still-like-watching-it: 

My only complaint about Chicago is that I really don't care for deep-dish pizza. Too greasy and doughy for me. Other than that, go Cubs!


[shudder]



7 comments:

mm said...

Wow! Impressive! Amazing!
I love the Cubs and deep dish pizza.

Bethn8r said...

Then that picture is all for you! If you like deep dish, that's the town to get it in. Chicago is terrific.

KC said...

Great list of movies. How I love Elisabeth Shue and watched that movie over and over again.

But, I also like The Whole Nine Yards. What's wrong with it?!

Bethn8r said...

It's just personal preference -- I tend to not care for movies starring Matthew Perry. I think he makes suspect cinematic choices.

Hopefully this difference of opinion will not destroy our burgeoning interweb friendship. You're not a Curly Sue fan...?

Bethn8r said...

Oh wow...small world.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/curly-sue-star-alisan-porter-weds-longtime-boyfriend-expecting-child-article-1.1037524

LH said...

Heading to Chicago tomorrow! LOVE CHICAGO. A lot.

Jim said...

I need to get back there, if nothing else for Lou Malnatti's pizza.