04 January 2012

Happy Birthday to Me!

I was thinking today about how much celebrating my birthday has changed in the past 10 years. Some things are very different at 36 than 26...I'm sure you would like to know exactly how, in a numbered and bulleted list, so I'll tell you.

  1. Sleeping in (especially on my birthday) is key. Today I slept in until 9, which is a deficit of about 4 hours from birthdays in my 20s, but that small amount is even more appreciated now.
  2. 10 years ago today we left for our honeymoon. I'm pretty sure I'm not leaving the house at all today, but my husband and daughter are probably going to run out and grab me an US Weekly, so I can take a bath and have some mindless entertainment as an accompaniment.
  3. In 2002 my phone was ringing off the hook with birthday greetings. Today, thanks to the magic of cell phones and Facebook I have received about 3 texts and 80 wall posts, and it's been just lovely. Plus, those don't wake the baby.
  4. I have kids now. That's just huge. Although I think our cats are actually needier, vomitier, and generally require more energy from us than the human children, and two of those cats were here 10 years ago.
  5. When I was 26, I was in between semesters of my third year in law school. Now I'm on maternity leave...so similarly, I don't have to go anywhere, I'm wearing comfy pants and not showering. So on that front, things are pretty much the same.
  6. I will be enjoying cake, coffee, and a cocktail - true then, true now.

I'm going to go and watch tv now while I run on the treadmill. Now that I'm this old, I guess it'll have to be reruns of Matlock.

No comments: