26 April 2012

When I Grow Up

How do you know what you really want to be when you grow up? When you're little, you  a) think you can do anything and be fabulous at it, and b) don't consider factors like making enough money to "send your kids to  college" or "eat". When I was really little, say 4 or 5 years old, I wanted to be a garbage man ("sanitation engineer", I believe is the current terminology) and a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader.


(Spoiler alert: This is not me.)

Interestingly, today I am neither of those.

I'm at the point where I'm looking at my career, and at the approximately 40 years that stand between me and retirement, and I say, "Is this what I want to be doing for that whole time?" Probably not. Plenty of lawyers and other professionals have some sort of mid-career change-up, so it's not a bad thing, or even uncommon, to think about doing something else.

But what would that be? And would any of the options be realistic enough to not eat ramen and save for the aforementioned retirement and multiple college educations for my children?

That's the big question. Doing something that's fulfilling and challenging and interesting, and yet be able to buy food and a house and have money left over for fun things, like vacations and Sephora (within reason)....

WHAT IS THAT THING?!?!

If you have the answer for me, I'm all ears. You get extra points if it involves pom-poms.




2 comments:

Jill, Benevolent Dictator said...

When I win the Powerball, I will buy the Cowboys and you and I can be on the DCC.

In most ways, I AM what I wanted to be when I grew up. But in the past ten years, I've had a strong feeling of, "ok, now what?" Still trying to figure that one out.

Bethn8r said...

I am going to hold you to that.

Yeah, I really have this feeling of, "but what's next?" because it is a long, long way until retirement, and the idea of DECADES more in the same vein isn't terribly appealing to me.