21 March 2012

Brave(s)

Atlanta Braves Logo 

Now that's out of the way.

Braves. Bravery. I'm trying to be brave, I started doing the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution this week. I had lost all of my baby weight three weeks after she was born -- I had gestational diabetes and I was absolutely religious about diet and exercise, so it was very well controlled without insulin. That meant that I was actually losing weight while I was pregnant -- the baby kept growing, but the rest of me was shrinking. Nice, right? So I lost everything immediately...and then what did I do? Exercise? Eat right? Nope and nope. I ate Halloween candy, Thanksgiving pumpkin pie (and whoopie pies), and Christmas candy and cookies and everything else...so I gained 10 lbs before you could say "King Arthur Flour". 

Matthew is doing it with me. We began with the 7 day kickstart, which is about 1200 calories and two 30 minute exercise periods a day. The first two days were fine. And boy, do I hate to be hungry. HATE IT. But it really wasn't terrible...until lunchtime today. Today, I was EXHAUSTED and sick...to the point where I took a two-hour nap this afternoon and woke up and still could hardly stand up. So I broke out my handy dandy diabetes sugar meter left over from the pregnancy, and lo and behold I had ridiculously low blood sugar. Apparently, all of the exercise and so little food and nursing the baby don't all combine well.

So, we're off the kick-start phase and onto the more varied but still calorie-restricted diet. I'm just really happy to not have to eat tilapia for dinner or tomatoes with everything. I feel kind of like a failure, because  I should have been able to gut this out better. But, I will keep trying to do what I can do and follow the program; if I need another 200 hundred calories of lower-carb food a day to be able to walk around like a human being, so be it. If I can't stand up, I can't exercise, and that seems to be very important for this program (and in general, of course).

I actually threw away the last homemade Twinkie from the ski trip today. Not easy, but I did it. It's gone. Maybe I'll make it through after all.

6 comments:

mm said...

1200 calories a day... impressive!

Bethn8r said...

Until I pass out...then it's not so impressive. I think I'm going to try for 1400. One extra healthy snack will hopefully make all the difference and keep me upright.

Bethn8r said...

But thank you. :)

Anonymous said...

Just remember that research shows that if you restrict too much, your body will rebel against your weight loss efforts. Also, you don't want to pass out. That leads to broken ankles. Trust me.

KC said...

I did a version of weight watchers. I got 1600 calories per day, and I wasn't breastfeeding. It worked - I lost 1-2 pounds per week.

I'm glad you're doing the 1400 instead, and then go ahead and have a drink.

Good luck! I have Jillian's 30 Day Shred and I really like it.

dw said...

Yikes! I always prefer to eat lots of calories. And drink them.