19 March 2012

Are you going to San-Fran-cisco....?

The San Francisco Giants. These guys.



They were originally the Gothams, which is a much more interesting name, and apparently have a big rivalry with the Dodgers, also formerly from NY. The Giants used to play in Harlem, near Central Park and then later further north, deeper into Harlem, always renaming their home field "The Polo Grounds".

I did not know that.

San Francisco is the most expensive city in the continental US that I have never lived in or visited for any length of time. I have no interest in living in California, but if I did, it would be in/near San Francisco.

This is interesting though - San Francisco is the most expensive city in the country for renters, according to a recent article in the Daily Mail. New York didn't even make the top 10. That's going to annoy a lot of New Yorkers, because they (formerly we) love to kvetch about how everything is so expensive and tiny and it's such a huge pain to live here but why on earth would anyone live anywhere else because this is the most fabulous city in the world? 

Until you do. And you find another place that suits you. Which sounds like exactly what the Giants did.

Sorry this is so devoid of actual content....Read yesterday's post, it's longer, if you're fixin' for more reading material.

Happy Monday, everyone!

3 comments:

Goodwoman said...

I like the Gothams as a team name. It makes me think of Batman, which might be the coolest superhero of all time. Also very interesting about NYC not making that top 10 list. All my friends from New York are always going on about how it is the most expensive place to live.

mm said...

Gothams is a much better name!

Jill, Benevolent Dictator said...

I miss my city by the bay. If I could live anywhere in the world, it would be San Francisco or Portland. Both are wonderful cities. Hm, maybe Portland has the edge, as I am not a big city girl. But San Francisco is my favorite city and an amazingly wonderful place.